Message from Bishop Coyne Re: Resuming the Celebration of Mass
It is with an abundance of joy and gratitude that I announce the first phase of the reopening of our churches to celebrate daily and Sunday Mass beginning June 1.
The obligation to attend Sunday Mass remains lifted until further notice, especially if you are part of a vulnerable population and/or have an underlying health condition.
Please approach the celebration of Mass with charity and love for our clergy and faith community by following the protocols:
- Stay home if you are sick or not feeling well.
- Wear a mask in Mass.
- Sanitize your hands upon entry. Due to shortages of sanitizer, please bring your own if possible.
- Sit in designated pews and respect social distance between others of 6 feet or more unless you are one family unit.
- Refrain from congregating in tight areas or entering cordoned off areas.
- Follow the protocols to receive Holy Communion as directed at Mass.
- Follow your church protocols regarding registration if necessary due to the 25% capacity limit.
For more details about church protocols visit: vermontcatholic.org/covid-19
While these protocols are intrusive, they are necessary as they allow us to celebrate the Sacraments in person while doing our part to help stop the spread of coronavirus.
Looking forward to seeing some of you “live” at Mass again, I remain,
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Christopher J. Coyne
Most Reverend Bishop of Burlington