“The fundamental task of catechesis is … the formation of disciples of Jesus Christ.” (National Directory for Catechesis)
Totus Tuus: Catholic Catechetical Summer Camp
Similar to Vacation Bible School, Totus Tuus is a week-long camp offered at local parishes for grade-school children during the day and high schoolers at night. See the schedule below for this summer’s Totus Tuus dates!
Looking for a summer job with opportunities to deepen your prayer life, spread the Gospel, travel the state and have fun? Apply to be a Totus Tuus teacher. The application deadline for 2018 has passed – come back in 2019!
Parish Catechetical Leaders (PCLs)
Events for PCLs and catechists:
- DRE Appreciation Day – May 22, 2018 at St. Monica’s Church, Barre. This annual day of appreciation is an opportunity for PCLs to gather together and be refreshed and encouraged after their catechetical work through the year.
- Catechist Formation Days: These half-day Saturday morning training/formation days are offered annually in the fall.
- Oct. 6 – Christ the King, Rutland
- Oct. 20 – Holy Cross, Colchester
- Oct. 27 – St. John the Evangelist, St. Johnsbury
- Annual St. John Bosco Conference for Religious Educators: This Monday-Thursday conference in Ohio is a unique and wonderful opportunity to learn new skills as a religious educator, learn from national speakers about topics that matter to you and enjoy a retreat-like atmosphere at Franciscan University. The Diocese of Burlington sent a bus of 25 participants to the conference in 2017. Save the date for July 16-19, 2018.
Contact the coordinator of religious education and catechesis so that you can get connected with the Diocese and ask any questions you may have as you start in your ministry.
Stay tuned. The Diocese is working on a new diocesan certification process for our parish catechetical leaders. If you have any questions, contact the coordinator of religious education and catechesis.
PCL Monthly Newsletters:
Each month, the Diocese puts out a newsletter specifically tailored for PCLs with need-to-know information and tips that will help you in your ministry. View past newsletters:
Safe and Sacred and Circle of Grace information can be found on the Protecting Our Children pages.
Ongoing Adult Formation
Growing in relationship with God and learning about faith is a process that never ends. “Ongoing catechesis is ‘a lifelong process for the individual and a constant and concerted pastoral activity of the Christian community’” (National Directory for Catechesis). Check with your local parish for opportunities to continue your faith formation journey. Additionally, check out the useful resources below.
- Diocesan Lay Formation Program: This diocesan program, as part of the Institute for Missionary Discipleship, seeks to form laity to assist in leadership roles in their parishes.
- St. Joseph’s College online theology programs: Vermont Catholics receive a 10% discount on online courses through our diocesan partnership.
- Formed: This is an online library of Catholic study programs, movies, videos, etc. Check with your parish to see if they already have a subscription.
- United States Catholic Catechism for Adults: This resource for the teachings of the Catholic faith is offered free online from the USSCB.
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops resources on:
Books to grow in your faith:
- “Be Holy: A Catholic’s Guide to the Spiritual Life” by Father Thomas Morrow
- “Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus” by Sherry A. Weddell
- “Introduction to the Devout Life” by St. Francis de Sales
- “Catechism of the Catholic Church”
- “United States Catholic Catechism for Adults” (an adaptation of the above book)