CYO Basketball is an instrument of the New Evangelization and is concerned with the growth of the Christian individual.
CYO basketball should offer the opportunity for the physical, spiritual and mental growth and maturity of all the individuals involved.
Victory is something we all strive for throughout our lives. In CYO basketball, victory cannot be measured only by the record of wins and losses;
it needs to be seen in light of Christian maturity and development as well. Victory in CYO basketball is achieved through:
- A greater affinity to the Catholic faith and participation in parish life
- An appreciation for hard physical work; a striving for goals, both team and personal
- An acceptance and respect for referees
- Cooperation with coaches and teammates, and fair play at all times
- A respect for the use of equipment and facilities
- Developing the virtues of humility, perseverance, charity and kindness
Who can play? The league is for boys and girls in grades 5th – 8th. Teams are broken down into 5th and 6th grade teams and 7th and 8th grade teams.
When does it begin? League play usually begins around the end of November and goes through March for tournament play
Where do you play? Our games are Rice Memorial, Winooski High School and Essex Middle School.
When are the games scheduled? Most games are scheduled for Sunday, beginning after noon.
Can non-Catholics play? Yes. We ask that parishes first reach out to youth who attend their parish, but that non-Catholics can play if necessary to fill rosters. Rosters should have at least 2/3 of the players being Catholics.
For more information on registration, please contact the Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry (information to your left).