The Most Reverend
Christopher James Coyne, D.D., S.L.D.
Tenth Bishop of Burlington
Born June 17, 1958 to Rita and the late William Coyne of Woburn, Mass., Bishop Coyne is the middle child of seven – three older brothers, three younger sisters: Daniel, Terrence (deceased), Brian, Patricia Silverman, Maureen Gillis, Anne Marie, and uncle to eleven nieces and nephews, ranging in age from 33 to 11. Through the gift of his extended family, he’s additionally blessed with the love and goodness of many aunts, uncles, and cousins.
A product of public education in his hometown, Bishop Coyne graduated from Woburn High School in 1976, while working through both high school and college as a dishwasher, sporting goods salesman, lifeguard and musician. After graduating from the University of Lowell, he worked full-time as a bartender for two years before entering St. John’s Seminary, Brighton (Boston), in 1981.
Ministry as Bishop:
– Titular Bishop of Mopta and Auxiliary Bishop of Indianapolis (January 2011-December 2014)*
– Apostolic Administrator of Archdiocese of Indianapolis (September 2011 – December 2012)*
– Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis (March 2011 – December 2014)
– Bishop for the Southern Region of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis (October 2014 – December 2014)
National Offices (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops):
– Chairman-elect of USCCB Communications (elected November 2014; term 2015-18)
– Member of USCCB Evangelization and Catechesis Committee
– Member of USCCB Lay Ecclesial Ministries Subcommittee
– Member of USCCB Catholic Communications Campaign Subcommittee
Ministry as Priest:
– Ordained to Priesthood for the Archdiocese of Boston (June 1986)
– Parochial Vicar, St. Mary of the Hills, Milton MA (1986-1989)
– Professor of Sacred Liturgy and Homiletics, St. John Seminary, Brighton (1994-2003); Adjunct Faculty (2003-2006)
– Director of the Office of Worship, Archdiocese of Boston (2000-2002)
– Secretary for Communications/Principal Spokesman, Archdiocese of Boston (2002-2005)
– Pastor, Our Lady Help of Christians, Newton MA (2005)
– Pastor, St. Margaret Mary Parish, Westwood MA (2006-2011)
– Attended Woburn public schools; graduated from Woburn High School, 1976
– BA in Business Management from the University of Lowell (1980)
– Master of Divinity, St. John's Seminary, Boston (1986)
– Licentiate (1992) and Doctorate (1994) in Sacred Liturgy; Pontifical Athenaeum of Sant’Anselmo, Rome
Twitter: http://twitter.com/bishopcoyne (@bishopcoyne)
– Nominated for a regional Emmy award (2002) for 13-part television series, “Sacred Space” (aired on CatholicTV)
– Winner of both a judged Telly and People’s Telly Award for the internet series “Everything You Wanted to Know About Catholic Liturgy*” (2014)
Life Off the Altar:
Lifelong Pats, Celtics, and Bruins fan, (Maine) beach bum, and avid skier and golfer… even if calling me a golfer is an insult to actual golfers.