Some DREs and Catechists may be exempt from the Religious Education Certification Training. The following may be exempt only if the Pastor supports the exemption and submits a letter to the Diocesan Office of Catholic Formation. The letter should include the names of all those for whom an exemption is being requested along with the reason for the request from the list below. A copy of the letter should be kept on file in the Parish.
Categories which qualify for exemption, with Pastor approval, are:
(1) DREs and Catechists with five (5) or more years of experience teaching in Parish Religious Education programs.
(2) Anyone with a Master’s Degree in Theology or undergraduate Degree in Religious Studies.
(3) Anyone who has completed the Diocesan Lay Ministry Training Program or the Diocesan Lay Apostolate Program.
(4) The wife of a Deacon who attended the diaconate classes with her husband.
The following are exempt from the Certification Training and do not require approval:
(1) All Priests, Religious Sisters and Brothers
(2) Permanent Deacons of the Diocese of Burlington
If a Catechist cannot complete the 16 hours of training over a two-year period, they may request one two-year extension.
If a Catechist has not completed 90% of the 16 hours of training after four years, they will not be allowed to teach in Parish Religious Education Programs.
Catholic School Principals will monitor Certification for all Catholic School teachers and Catholic School Religion teachers. DREs will monitor Certification compliance for their Parish Religious Education teachers.